Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Smokey is walking!

Oh my gosh! The steroids are working...and working so well! Smokey is now WALKING! He is very wobbly, but he is doing so awesome. Brent and I have been laughing because it looks like he is drunk when he walks. So cute. We went to the vet yesterday and she was so proud of him. He is (according to her) doing better than he should be at this point. I was such a proud mama when she said that! He has been so determined to walk, and it has paid off. We have been using one of Brent's old belts to help him walk around outside. He does so well with that...it goes under his hips to give some support. For the next few weeks, we will be doing swimming therapy. I think this is so cool. We put him in a FULL bathtub and let him swim to build the muscles in his back legs. We tried it for the first time last night and it was so cute and Smokey loved it! (He is the only dog I have ever met that LIKES the bathtub. He gets excited about a bath...or even hearing the word "bath").
So...we are hoping that in a week or 2 that he will be back to normal. Or close to it. He has improved so fast already, I can only imagine what is to come. My prayers have been answered!